EVERYONE SHOULD EAT THESE DURING QUARANTINE
Now that everything seems to be at a standstill due to the Coronavirus, it is important to enforce a more healthy lifestyle. Besides the normal protocol of wearing face masks and social distancing, eating immune boosting foods should be a top priority as well. Incorporating these foods will give your body the tools that it needs to work efficiently and effectively.
Eating immune boosting foods, sleeping a reasonable amount of time, and exercising daily are general ways to stay healthy. These should be implemented into everyone’s daily lives,
especially during the COVID-19 outbreak. The human body uses and consumes nutrients
effectively when they come from whole foods, such as fruits and vegetables, instead of foods that are processed. When planning meals throughout quarantine, be sure that your plate consists of a variety of fruits and vegetables, as they all have different advantages.
To maintain health and wellness, it is crucial to partake in eating foods full of vitamins and
minerals that do your body good. Foods high in vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin D, vitamin A,
vitamin B-6 , as well as yogurt and garlic are said to be the most beneficial for immune system health.
- Eating foods high in vitamin C such as kale, strawberries, tangerines, and oranges is
known to increase the production of white blood cells. White blood cells are the key to
fighting off infections.
- Seeds, spinach, nuts, and avocado are rich in vitamin E, which provides support and
regulation for the immune system.
- Yogurt is one source of probiotics or live cultures. Probiotics gives the immune system
the ability to fight off diseases.
- Egg yolk, yogurt, salmon, and tuna are foods that contain vitamin D. Vitamin D is
crucial to the immune system function and also regulates the immune system’s response.
- Vitamin A is considered to be anti-inflammatory and allows antibodies to respond to
toxins and viruses. Spinach, kale, carrots, apricots, squash, cantaloupe, and sweet
potatoes are all great origins of vitamin A.
- The lymphatic system and the forming of red blood cells all depend on vitamin B-6.
Bananas, chicken, chickpeas, turkey, salmon, and tuna are foods that are high in vitamin
- Zinc, a mineral that is not stored or produced in the body, but it is also needed to
maintain the health of the immune system and must be obtained through food consumption. Shellfish, chicken, turkey, beans, and red meat all contain high levels of
zinc. Zinc can also be found in some breads, but the best sources are animal- based
- The compounds in garlic are used to fight off germs in multiple ways. Garlic stimulates
the cells that are needed to fight diseases and regulate the immune system. It also boosts the production of T-cells and reduces stress hormones produced which helps the immune system function to its full capacity.
Fruits and vegetables are the key to a healthy immune system. Each fruit and vegetable contains vitamins and minerals that are considered to be a great advantage to the human body. By consuming plant-based foods instead of processed foods, the body is able to use the nutrients more efficiently. It is important to consume these foods during quarantine to keep yourself safe and healthy while the rest of the world is so upside down!