With so many brands on the market, the struggle that most women have is always,which one to choose from and, most importantly, for what. Being a makeup lover myself, I always like to go to professional sources where I can get the most usable tips and advice. For this particular brand spotlight, I chose to interview one of my favorite Makeup Artists, Ms. Falana Alexander, originally out of Trinidad but based on St.Maarten for most of her life.
As a makeup artist in the industry to date, 17 years of experience in this field of professional artistry and product knowledge, it is essential to keep up with the trends and understand the products and/or brands that you work with regularly.
Do you find it a challenge to list your top 10 brands?
Of course! Any makeup artist kit has a combination of products that represent her style and market, and most times I can guarantee you that it is more than 10 brands! You are constantly doing research and educating yourself to provide your clients the trendiest looks.
Here is a list of my top 10 brands in no specific order:
1.URBAN DECAY– In the industry for over 20 years, this brand for me is known for its edgy style for women who want to express themselves through their style of makeup–where this brand carries on a wide scale.
Most liked product for urban decay is the NAKED PALETTES. All shades and variety rated #1 from nudes to smoky.
2. TOO FACE– A brand that is inspired by the love of Paris and femininity. Creating I innovative, cruelty-free cosmetics for ladies.
Most liked product from Too Face is the GLITTER GLUE. This formula is so amazing; the creamy, unique formula locks down glitter or shimmers from getting messy. It can be applied directly on the lids before putting shimmers or glitters, and it blocks out oils from the eyelids.
Why I like it even more compared to others is that the formula can be applied before makeup or on top of existing eye makeup to add that pop of sparkle and glamour to your look as desired.
3. JUVIA’S PLACE– This brand provides a wide range of cruelty-free and vegan eyeshadow palettes that are the most highly pigmented on the cosmetic market to date. From the warmest nudes from office style to the Caribbean colorful vibrant shades of bright colors, this is one you can’t beat!
PRODUCT- Eyeshadow pallets like the Saharan palette and the masquerade palette are my top 2 in the eyeshadows.
PRODUCT- Butter Cup Powder. This powder has a unique twist to its loose setting powder. Firstly, the color is yellow so it warms up skin tones and brings radiance to the skin. Giving you that flawless matte camera-ready look. Camera-friendly powder that does not give the white residue on the skin when flash is being used.
5. MAC– Originated and founded in the 80’s, this brand is still going strong, carrying a wide range of makeup from skin care to makeup for professionals and consumers. It’s also #1 for raising funds with the viva glam campaign for HIV/AIDS. Their philosophy is standing for all ages, all sexes, and all races.
PRODUCT- My favorite product is studio fix foundation powder and liquid. Giving a wide range of skin tones and shades. The powder is one of my everyday items that gets you out the house or easy to use on the go with no mess, giving you medium to full coverage and a flawless smooth finish.
6. Morphe– Specializes in reasonable and low prices for quality makeup palettes and brushes .
PRODUCT- GRAND GLAM EYESHADOW PALETTE. This palette has all the warm, earthy, sun-kissed nudes that you will love and can use on an everyday basis. Something a girl must have in her little makeup kit.
7. Nyx– A cruelty-free brand with a vast number of cosmetics to choose from and affordable, catering to all makeup lovers.
PRODUCT- SOFT MATTES lipsticks regular and new formula metallic lip crème. Ideal for day or night wear with a broad ray of colors to choose from that will suit every girl’s needs.
8. Cover Girl– Another innovative company that’s been around for many years.
From celebrities to an everyday average girl, this company has something to offer us.
PRODUCT- True Blend liquid makeup. Seamless, flawless application, lightweight, and comfortable and not to mention camera-friendly. It’s worth a try.
9. Anastasia Beverly Hills– Sun-dipped glow
PRODUCT – SUN-DIPPED GLOW KIT. Love the highlighters, especially the sun-dipped glow kit.
10. Inglot- Duraline.
PRODUCT- DURALINE, a waterless clear liquid that can intensify the color of any powder and then transform it into a slurry liquid liner–may it be glitter or matte.
However, as many brands as I am comfortable and trained to work with, my personal two top brands are: URBAN DECAY and MAC. My most useful advice is that the techniques and having the right tools to apply your makeup is what make the difference in the results.
By: Kenty Lichtenberg of
Kerai Kreative Style
FB: Kerai Kreative Style