SUMMER FUN AND ENTERTAINING!
One of the best parts about summer is the way it gives us the chance to catch up with our friends and family. We do that all throughout the year, but there is just something about a summer barbeque, or any other type of outdoor/backyard get together that nothing else really compares to. If you’re anything like the rest of us, it’s likely that your summer calendar is already filling up with reunions, backyard grilling parties, or just the chance to bring together some friends and family by the pool.
And then of course, you have to remember that sometimes, particularly during the summer, people will just drop in to say hello!
Regardless of what the summer has in store for you, we have a few summer entertaining tips that should make for a memorable, comfortable occasion for everyone.
Outdoor/Summer/Backyard Entertaining Tips
Here are a few summer entertaining tips that are easy to keep in mind:
- Keeping cool: There are a few different things you can do in this regard. If it all possible, try to avoid having events between the hours of noon and three. Those tend to be the hottest hours of the day, which can make it tough to keep everyone comfortable.
- Hydrate: No matter what time you have your event, particularly if you can’t help but schedule it for somewhere between noon and three, make sure your guests are staying hydrated. People tend to bring their own bottles of water these days, but that doesn’t mean you can’t offer.
- Be prepared: Grilling is a time-honored summertime activity, and that applies to just about everyone. However, the one thing everyone seems to dread about summer barbeques and the like is waiting for the grill to be cleaned, or waiting for someone to run to the store for charcoal (“I thought you picked it up!”). If you’re planning a grill-for-all, get the grill ready a few days in advance. Get all of your supplies ahead of time, as well.
- Get creative: Obviously, there are just about a million ways you can get creative with a backyard gathering. We particularly like the idea of tossing out the plastic cooler, and using something like a wheelbarrow/wagon full of ice and cool drinks for everyone to enjoy.
- Bugs: Make sure you keep the bugs away with insect repellent for the guests, as well as useful things like citronella candles.
- The kids: If kids are coming, make sure they have something to do!